Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Back in Port Angeles

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can hear all of you now. "It's about time"!! LOL. The last time I wrote we were in southeastern Montana and now we're all the way up on the northwest peninsula of Washington state. The funny thing is that we have finally found some warmth and some sunshine! Who would have thought we'd find that here??

So we got to Gerryowen, MT (which is part of the Crow Indian Reservation) to another RV park that was pretty much empty. I guess people don't start camping in this part of the country until later in the summer. We got set up and went into town and found a Subway for lunch. We always split a $5 footlong and have never had a problem having the sandwich cut. This guy wouldn't cut the sandwich until all the toppings were put on because he said he'd have to charge me for two sandwiches. HUH??? What's the difference?? Whatever. We ate our sandwiches and headed out for fuel. We still had a couple of Shell Gas Station cards so we decided to use them. We had already used one somewhere else but it still had a few dollars left on it (Rod couldn't remember how much). The lady in the gas station said she didn't have a reader to tell how much was left on the card and said she'd give him $5 for it. HUH?? This place is just getting better and better. Grrrrrr We headed to a different gas station as Rod didn't want to give them ANY business.

We then headed to Little Bighorn Battlefield which is also know as Custer's last stand. On June 25, 1876 General George Armstrong Custer underestimated the size of the Indian tribes (the Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho) who were ruled by Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse and met his maker. Although Custer died here he's not actually buried here. He is buried at West Point Cemetary. This was not my idea but it was something Rod wanted to do. I think it must be a "guy thing" to want to go look at a big field where a battle took place YEARS ago. There were markers all over the place where either a soldier or an Indian was killed. I mean really, how many times can you look at another marker?? I've added a link if you click above if you're interested to read about it.

After we left the battlefield we decided to go get dinner. The only thing in the area was a KFC. Now, we don't ever eat at KFC but our choices were limited. Some people told us the new grilled chicken was pretty good so that's what we were going to have. We walked into one of the dirtiest places I've ever seen but as I said, our choices were limited. Not seeing grilled chicken on the menu I asked if they had any and was told, "NO, we only have what's there". Wow, okay then. Just asking. The attitude of the people in this town was just unbelievable. We were going to stay for two days but decided we really weren't comfortable here and left after only one day. Oh well...

From there we headed to Bear Country Campground in Bozeman, MT. We were just driving until we found something. No reservations and no idea where we were headed. That's kinda fun to do sometimes. (Yeah, I can hear you, Terry G) This campground was not cheap and they didn't offer any discounts but it was comfortable. We watched the news that night and they were predicting snow for the next day! WHAT???!!! I thought June was supposed to be summerlike. It was freezing!!! We decided to wait till morning to decide if we were going to stay or not. I woke up the next morning and asked Rod if we were leaving since it wasn't snowing. He said we were. I got up to drink some coffee before getting ready to leave. Once he got up I started getting the bedroom ready. After I was done in there I pulled in the slide. Rod asked what I was doing. I said I was done in the bedroom so I pulled in the slide. He asked why. I said, "because I'm done in there". At that point he informed me that he was only kidding that we were leaving. UGGGHHHHH!!!! He thought I knew he was kidding. I didn't. He ended up putting the slide back out and getting out everything I had put away. Too funny!! We did end up getting a few inches of snow that afternoon so I'm glad we didn't go anywhere.

From there we headed to Missoula, MT to Jim & Mary's RV park. This was a small park but adequate for a one night stay.

From there we headed to Coeur D'Alene (pronounced like Core Duh Lane) in the state of Idaho. It's right outside the city of Spokane, WA. The drive was really nasty all day through the mountains. It poured down rain the whole way. By the time we got to Coeur D'Alene the rain was gone, the sun was shining, and it was warm for the first time since I can't remember when. We were going to be meeting up with one of my chatroom friends, Jenny and her friend, Richard. I was really looking forward to this as it's been almost a year since the last time we met up. We had dinner at a really yummy Mexican restaurant. It was SOOOOOO good to see you again, Jenny!! Glad to see you looking well!

Road construction combined with rain, our favorite. NOT!!!

Jenny and Richard

From there we went to Graham, WA and a visit with my brother and his family. On the way there we stopped and had lunch with another one of my chatroom friends, Phyllis and Bob. It was soooo good to see them again. We went to one of the best pizza places on the planet (in my opinion) called The Rock. This was the same place we went with them last year and we had been looking forward to it for a long time! Oh yeah, and we did want to see Phyllis & Bob too. LOL. We spent last year at my brother George's house too. We followed almost the exact same routine as last year. We also stopped in for a visit at my other brother's house. Donny had just had back surgery but seemed to be getting around pretty good already. Good job, Donny!!

So that brings us to now. We're back in Port Angeles for a little while. We're not sure how long we'll be here. Rod's mom Arlene is all settled into an Assisted Living Home thanks to all the hard work his sister Sue did after Arlene fell and broke her hip. She LOVES the home she's in and didn't object to having to give up her own home at all. She has a lot of friends there and has adjusted really well. We're going to be spending our time here getting the house painted and ready to sell. It's going to be a lot of work but we get free rent and free laundry! LOL. We had to do quite a bit of trimming of the trees on the side of the house in order to get our rig in. We don't have sewer hookups here but we do have electric and water. We've been using the "facilities" in the house but living in the rig. We have our own TV and internet so it's working out just fine to stay here.

It's quite a tight fit


Jim and Dee said...

What a great blog! Thanks for the update. Jenny looks great and happy! That is a tight fit for the rig, you can tell you've had experience in parking, good job Rod.

Joe and Sherri said...

I really enjoyed the journey with you and Rod. Sherri and I had so much fun with the two of you and hope that you will take us with you again.

Ellie and Jim said...

We're glad you made it safely...We are heading that way with Mark & Dortha the first week of August or so....Hope to catch up with you guys at some point this summer...We still have gulf shrimp left :)......Hugs...Jim & Ellie

Mark and Dortha said...

Glad you guys finally found some warm weather. We are looking forward to catching up with you later in the summer.

We are going to some of the same places you mentioned in your blog. Thanks for the heads up on the eating facilities or should I say the lack of?

I am glad to hear that Rod's mom is doing well. Your brother too.
Don't work too hard.


Randy and Terry said...

So glad you were able to find places to rest your head! :) Good news on Rod's mom, too. Take care, girl

Debbie Goode said...

Wow, I have been out of touch for awhile and I am just exhausted reading about all your travels...LOL Glad you are having such a grand time!