Friday, June 26, 2009

Kamp Kendall

Wow, has it really been 10 days since my last update?? Just goes to show how busy we've been. Not really. We've been settling in here just fine. Rod's spent two days taping his mom's whole house to get it ready to paint. Now he's painting all the edges so when ready he can just take a roller and go to town painting the rest.

We managed to plant a little garden. There is a raised bed in the backyard that Rich (Rod's brother-in-law) had prepped and fertilized for Rod's mom before she broke her hip. It was all covered up with a tarp. When we took the tarp off there was some lettuce already growing. LOL. We went to the store and bought some plants for it. We planted basil, thyme, dill, parsley, rosemary, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. Hopefully we'll get some yummy veggies and herbs from this.

The garden

After a good watering

The tomatoes we planted and peas that Rod's mom had already planted

Yesterday we went to Bainbridge Island and took the ferry over to Seattle to Safeco Field to watch the Padre/Mariners game. The only time I get to see the Padres are when they're playing in Seattle and we happen to be here. They're not in the same league so it's fun when we get to see the interleague games. Someday I'll get to see the Padres at home in San Diego again. It would be nice to hear the cheers for MY team.

We were going to take the 11:30 ferry but we left Port Angeles at 10:00 (our usual departure time, LOL) and it takes an hour and a half to get to Bainbridge Island. We got there, parked and ran up the ramp to the ferry but it was already pulling away from the dock. The next ferry was departing at 12:20 so we just waited around for that one. By the time it was ready to leave there were LOTS of people also waiting. Most were dressed in Mariners attire so I guess this is a popular way for people on the peninsula to go to the game.

Missed the first ferry

Here comes the next one

The ride over to Seattle was only thirty minutes long but pretty cold. Once we got there we walked a few blocks to Safeco Field. We didn't have any tickets because when I looked up tickets online there were various charges besides the charge for the tickets themselves. We figured we would just buy them at the ticket window. The line was a little long and we'd heard some guy on the street hawking tickets. I thought that was illegal but he was doing it right in front of the police so apparently it's okay. He had several tickets and we chose two of them for $45 each. They were actually worth $65 each. We ended up 33 rows above the Mariners dugout and right on the aisle. GREAT seats!! In fact, we both agreed these were the best seats we've ever had at a game.

The Seattle skyline comes into view

The Space Needle

Our seats

My Boys

My boys warming up

I think Ichiro had something like a million hits yesterday. Uggghhhh

It was a fun day and we stayed and watched the whole game even though my Padres got trounced 9-3. They're not doing so good this year. They don't score many runs and their two best pitchers are out with injuries. It's like we say almost every year, "Just wait till next year!" LOL

The ride back was even colder than when we came. There are plenty of places inside to sit but it was way more crowded this time. We'll definitely do this again one day but only for a day game again. The night games end way too late to be taking the ferry and if we drove it would be about three hours one way.

The ride back

Coming into Bainbridge Island

Glad we weren't on THAT ferry

Today Rod is back to painting and then we're going over to check up on his mom tonight. She's doing really well in her apartment at the assisted living home and we're really happy about that. There's still a lot of things she can't do so we're glad to be here to help her.

I'm going to quickly publish this post now because it's the second time I had to write it. I was in the process of writing and was just about ready to publish it when it disappeared. I had been saving it all along while I was writing it so I'm not sure why it disappeared.


Rick and Paulette said...

Great post and thanks for all the pics! Wow - $45 for Mariners tickets. Times have changed. I remember, although it was 30 years ago, getting box seats for the Mariners for $15 - right behind the dugout.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Deb I just love Seattle one of my favorite places is Pikes Market. I have never been to a baseball game like that very cool.

Take Care and a big Hello to Rod


Jim and Dee said...

Thanks for posting, just in time to tell mom you have one up when she asked this morning. Great pictures, we have to get out in that area. It's beautiful! Fun time on ferries, we've done that a few times in NJ and NC.

Karen said...

I want that garden. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make one portable, hehehe.

Bob and Molly said...

Looks like a wonderful area is on our list!!! And Hugs to both of you...just get that Rod guy well and back on the road!

Dortha said...

What a fun day you two had...don't use up all the fun before we get there! LOL

Thanks too for the heads up on the RV Parks.


Joe and Sherri said...

Just got to read this one. I have been busy entertaining children the last two weeks. Next week I am going to entertain myself...HE HE