Saturday, March 20, 2010

Aransas Refuge & Padre Island Seashore


Thursday we set out early (for us) with Mark and Dortha at 9:30 for breakfast and on to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge.  We went here last year but that was before I had my National Parks Passport.  We’ve had to backtrack to some places just so I could get a stamp in my book.  It was so cold and dry last year that there wasn’t a lot to see in the way of wildlife.  The alligators in the lake were all bunched up in a mud pit because there was no water in the lake.  Well, that wasn’t the case this year.  There has been SO much rain here this winter that we were amazed how different everything looked.  Even the whooping cranes that come here every year weren’t hardly around last year.  We did manage to see a few of them this time.  We also saw A LOT of butterflies.  I’m not an expert in naming them, I just think they are pretty.

I DO know what a Monarch looks like


And a Swallowtail




The alligators seemed to be very happy with all the water in the lake this year


This huge raccoon seemed to think we had something for him to snack on but we were very well behaved and obeyed the signs that said, “Do Not Feed Wildlife”.


The whooping cranes were pretty far away but Mark let me use his telephoto lens.  I LOVE that lens and I’m going to have to buy one before we head to Alaska.

Mark & Rod had to use binoculars to find the whooping cranes



Did I mention how much I LOVE Mark’s lens??


Mark spotted this little armadillo foraging on the side of the road


We spotted this crop duster on the way home.  Did I mention how much I LOVE Mark’s lens??


Friday was going to be a beautiful day again so we headed out to the Padre Island National Seashore.  This is another place for Dortha and I to get a stamp in our books.  They do a lot there to protect and save the Kemp’s Ridley sea turtles (click on anything in blue to learn more about  it) so Dortha and I decided to adopt a sea turtle.  I’m so excited to do something to help the turtles.

First we had to wait our turn to board the ferry


Then we drove along the causeway to the beach




After Mark put the jeep in four wheel drive we even got to DRIVE on the beach.  There were a lot of people camping but most were packing up and heading home because it got REALLY windy.


After leaving the beach we stopped at Whataburger By The Bay for a late lunch.  Corpus Christi is where Whataburger started so we had to stop there even though I had a chicken sandwich.



So that ended another GREAT day of site seeing with Mark & Dortha.  Thank you, Mark for letting me use your lens again today.  Did I mention how much I LOVE it??


Sandra said...

I'm so happy to see that the 'gators finally have lots of water!

Mark and Dortha said...

So glad Mark let you borrow his lens. Great pictures!

Jim and Dee said...

What a wonderful blog. We're following right along.

squawmama said...

Good Morning... Don't you just love getting the stamps for your passport book... SO FUN!!! I have been doing it for a while but I started with a small book... then they had to come out with the big book (which I got right away) So I also revisit places to get stamps ... It is a must do thing ☺☺☺ Have fun and travel safe!

ps.. when are you going to Alaska? We are headed that way this year...

Ellie and Jim said...

That looked like a great day...we do miss you guys...Hey...I have a great idea...why don't you get a lens like Mark's...Hugs to you all...Jim & Ellie

Joe and Sherri said...

It looks warm there...It has been so long since we have felt warm. Is it nice.

JB said...

I'm thinking you need a lense like Mark's you'll LOVE it.