Monday, June 20, 2011

Visiting Baltimore

Today our plan was to head out on the Metro to “the city”.  Washington, D.C., that is, and hop on and off the double decker bus.  Well, when we got up it was raining and I really didn’t want to sit on the top of the bus in the rain.  So, plan B it was.

We decided to drive up to Baltimore.  It was only a 35 mile drive.  We didn’t really have a plan other than to go to Charm City Cakes and take pictures.  Anybody that knows me knows that I’m a Food Network fanatic.  Charm City Cakes is owned by Duff Goldman who has a show on the Food Network called Ace of Cakes.  He makes the most amazing cakes but they’re VERY expensive.  They don’t do any tours and you can’t go inside but I knew that already so I was just going to take pics of the building.  Well, as we pulled up Duff himself walked out of the building!!  Since I was driving I couldn’t snap a picture but trust me, we saw him!  LOL

DSC05237

DSC05238

That’s Duff driving away

DSC05235

From there we headed to the Light Street Pavilion because I found out you can buy Charm City Cakes merchandise at a store there called Best of Baltimore.  I was looking for a reusable water bottle.

We found the store easy enough but they only sell t-shirts, hats and aprons so I guess I’ll have to order it online.

The Pavilion was gorgeous!  It kind of reminded me of Bayside Marketplace in Miami but cleaner.  It still had the usual assortment of homeless people and a few with mental issues though.  I’m not a shopper so I can’t tell you what all the stores were.  I just went to one store.  LOL

DSC_0018

There was a beautiful Visitor Center where these men were making a replica of a tall ship

DSC_0019

We found a Thai restaurant that I can’t remember the name of but the food was amazing and we left stuffed!  Can you believe that we didn’t have crab anything??  We’ve got to come back another day.  I want to see the aquarium anyway.

Back to the mall where we just HAD to get some fresh fudge.  The best part was that if you bought two you got another one free!

That’s ALL fudge right there!!

DSC_0021

DSC_0023

That’s a fresh “slab” of fudge!

DSC_0024

From there we decided to see if we could find Edgewood Arsenal.  That’s the place where Rod was born back in 1944 while his Dad was in the Army designing bomb fuses.  He has never been back since leaving when he was only a year old.

Finding the city of Edgewood was easy enough so we took a turn off one of the side streets to turn around and as we drove down the road we found the base!!  The man at the gate was very nice but politely told us we couldn’t go in nor could we take any pictures.  Oh well, at least Rod got to see where he was born.

DSC_0025

Tomorrow will probably be a down day for us.  Rod needs to get a haircut and we need to do laundry.  Also, there is a discussion here at the campground every day at 4:00 for getting to and around the Capitol.  There is a city bus that comes right inside the park gates and will take you to the Metro Station where you can then ride the subway.  I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re going to do on Wednesday.

7 comments:

squawmama said...

OK... 2 post in one week! I'm impressed!

I know we need to hook up one day! We are both Food Network Groupies ~ We both love the Captain ~ I bet you even like to go to as many Drive-in, Dinners & Dives as you can on your travels.

Looks like you had a great day!!!
Have fun & Travel safe
Donna

Chuck-Kathy said...

Wow Deb, you have probably worn the print off the keys with all the posting lately. I've gotten hooked on the food network too, just what I needed......lol

Happytrails said...

Well plan B looks like it turned out to be a great plan!! We love Food Network too!! We try to locate as many Triple D restaurants as we can.
Isn't it fun????

Mark and Dortha said...

You know Mark is hating the fact that you saw Duff and Charm City Cakes, especially without him! DC is a place I have never been...I am looking forward to your adventure.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

You should have chased that van!!!

Randy and Terry said...

Glad you enjoyed your first visit to B'more! If you do go to the aquarium, check out their evening prices. Admission is pretty pricey, but if you go after 5:00 on some nights, it's much more reasonable.

Have fun!!

Tumbleweed Dee said...

You're sure in paradise! All that food! It's great you've posted twice, mom says thank you. lol

Have fun and see everything you can.