Sunday, March 02, 2008

Franklin D Roosevelt State Park, GA

We arrived at FDR State Park on Friday after a really uneventful drive. I say this because we had major drama on Thursday after leaving the KOA in Sweetwater. Our plan was to go to Red Top State Park. We didn't leave the KOA until almost noon because it was only a 3 hour drive to Red Top. We got there at about 3:30 in the afternoon. Plenty of time to set up, right? Wrong. We weren't getting satellite reception so Rod was going to drive the rig around the loop and come in closer on the other side where there was a space in between some trees. When he tried to turn he got a little too close to a tree and scraped the slide cover. Not that big of a deal except that he still couldn't make the turn without tearing the cover off. He backed up and I guided him out of the site. Well, after that we decided we didn't want to stay there so we went back to the office and got a refund. The ranger said there was a KOA about 20 miles north. We left the park and thought we'd look to see if there was a campground closer than 20 miles. The GPS said there was one about 10 miles away. When we got there we found out it was closed for the winter and wouldn't open until April. Good grief!! We got BACK on the freeway and found the KOA north of Cartersville. It was a very expensive night but I think we would have paid $100 for a site and not complained a bit. By then it was 7:00 at night and I certainly wasn't in the mood to cook so Rod made popcorn and that was that.

We did learn a few things that day. The first was to always have a plan B, the second was to leave WAY earlier, and the third was if nobody at the campground answers the phone it probably means they're closed for the season.

We left the KOA by 10:00 in the morning (which is WAY early for us) and stopped to get gas. I asked Rod what our plan B was and he said, "We don't have one". Hmmmmmmm, so much for the lessons learned.

SOOOOOOO, here we are at FDR State Park. I had read on some other people's blogs that have rigs as big as ours that had stayed here before so we figured we'd be okay and we are. We only paid for one day but we liked it so much that we went back to the office and paid for 9 more days so we'll be here until the 10th. We got here at about 1:30 and were set up and having a beer by 3:00. Ahhhhhh, life is good.

The only bad thing is that we don't get cell phone coverage. We really have to look into getting one of those antenna boosters.

Yesterday we went into the town of Columbus. We picked up a few groceries and some outdoor carpeting for our patio. It looks so nice and homey now. The only other thing we need is a tablecloth.

It's been so nice and warm here. 70's during the day and who cares what it is at night. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some hiking. There are so many trails around here and also places to visit in the area. We heard Calloway Gardens has a really cool butterfly garden. Also Roosevelt's little white house is here. So, I think we'll keep ourselves busy for the next week and a half.

After all the ice and snow we went through the windows were REALLY dirty so I sent Rod out to clean them. Well, it IS an outside chore, right?

It is so beautiful here, this is the view from our campsite.


Sissy said...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear the loving conversation between the two of you ... "when he tried to turn he got a little too close to a tree and scraped the slide cover." Ü

Debbie & Rod said...

Why, Sissy, whatever do you mean?? I just said, "Sweetheart, you're a teensy bit too close. Oh woopsie, you got way too close. Back up snookums". Yeah right....