Saturday, January 10, 2009

Corpus Christi, Texas

I really do have a good reason for not posting lately. We've done absolutely nothing this week. You would think when we're in a park like this surrounded by RV's and concrete we'd WANT to get out but nope, no motivation. At least if I stay home I don't run the risk of getting a cold like Donna did. Poor Donna, hope you're feeling better.

Yesterday we decided it was time to go to Sam's Club in Corpus Christi which is only about 30 miles away. We went over to Aransas Pass and took the ferry over to Mustang Island and then the causeway to Corpus Christi. It was a beautiful day for a drive and the temps were in the low 80's. Nice.

See how tightly packed in we are?

Leaving the ferry dock

From Aransas Pass to Port Aransas on Mustang Island

Heading up to Corpus Christi

Our plan was to find a Ford dealer (we're having A/C issues again) and then go to Sam's and then go to dinner at Landry's Seafood House on the waterfront. On the way to the Ford dealer we were sitting at a red light and I happened to look on the other side of the freeway and saw a Rudy's Barbecue!!! We decided to stop in there and pick up some sauce, some smoked turkey and this one also had smoked pork loin. YUMMY!! We had our ice chest with us with ice in it so we knew it would be fine. The only problem was we were now so hungry we decided to go to Landry's for lunch. We didn't eat at Rudy's because we had LOTS of giftcards from John & Erica so we really needed to use one. We figured we'd have the turkey and pork for dinner and we did. At Landry's we had the special which was blackened red fish with an etoufee sauce and rice and salad. Wow, was it ever delicious! We were even too full for dessert. Thank you very much John & Erica!!

After leaving Landry's we stopped to look at an old sailing ship we had seen on TV. It's a replica of one of Columbus' ships the Nina. It was restored in Spain in 1992 to commemorate the 1492 voyage and sailed to the US with the other two ships the Pinta and the Santa Maria. The Nina is in dire need of restoration again before it can be moved anywhere. I think they're trying to raise money here to restore it. I have no idea how it ended up here in Texas.

Some pelicans being really lazy

After that we headed to Sam's Club and then home. On the way there we passed by the USS Lexington which is an aircraft carrier that is open to the public. Pretty cool but having grown up in San Diego I've seen PLENTY of aircraft carriers.

Hopefully this week we won't be so lazy that we just sit at home. We have my Chargers in the playoffs tomorrow so we won't be going anywhere but Monday I think we'll go to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. You can read about it here: Aransas Wildlife Refuge before we go.


Jim and Dee said...

Thanks for posting! Great pictures, thanks. See you in chat.

Jenny Johnson said...

Whew!! I am so glad you posted--If I had not seen you in chat I would have thought you had been eaten by the Texas Tarantulas. Glad you got ot of the house and no longer have cabin fever.
Jenny J

Karen said...

I didn't post to my blog for a few days, either, because i was so busy doing nothing.

I finally got around to writing some today, but I am still behind. Still got some nothing to write about, ha ha ha!

Jesse, Ginger, Bayer, Buddy, and Mr. B said...

Hope your Chargers do well today. My Ravens would love to meet them in the AFC Championship game. Jesse

Joe and Sherri said...

I went to the USS Lexington years ago and flew in the flight simulator. What a blast that was.

Joe and Sherri